Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Long Post with the Big News

SO....Guess What!?!?


We're EXPECTING, as in, expecting a brand new little baby addition to the Roberts Family!
We're so excited!!!

Little Renae and Baby #2 will be approximately 17 months apart. According to OUR calculations, anyways.
AND
yes, we know how babies are made...
yes, we know about birth control....
and yes, it was on purpose.
...just in case that answers any secret questions... ;) baha.

Here's the story.
...With lots of details (sorry!) because it's all been a very surprising experience so far. We're still sorting it out and still can't really tell what parts are important to others or not. Too much info? Probably.
I've also tried to use as many euphemisms as possible...but sometimes you've just got to say period on the worldwide web.
There. All my disclaimers have been stated.



SOo.... I've always thought having kids close together would be cool...at least a couple close together, anyways. They could be buddies, they could play together, and (if sisters) they could share clothes.
Woo-hoo, good deal.

Around mid February, we starting just thinking about when to plan for the next bebe. Renae would be 9 months in a month and a bit, and we figured that 18 months between babies was close...but not too close. It would be busy and a little crazy...but we felt good about it. And we figured that it would probably take a few months to actually get pregnant.
We were past "the window of opportunity" for the month of February (or so we thought...) so we figured we would go off our "preferred method of birth control" from here on out, sure that beginning next month the possibility was real, and we should be on the lookout for all signs of possible pregnancy.
Except that the imminently expected period never showed.
We took the test, and sure enough....PREGO!

Needless to say, we were a little (LOT) shocked that we were pregnant already. I mean, absolutely thrilled for sure...but very, very surprised. I hadn't even really kept track of my last period, so we only had a general ball-park figure as to how far along I might be. We guessed maybe 5-6 weeks. Can you get pregnant just by talking about it? We wondered.

SO...next step was to get to the Doc.
It took me a week or so to get around to calling. When I did, the clinic I called booked me in with a doctor taking new obstetrics patients...except she was out of the office a bit over the next couple weeks, so they wouldn't be able to get me in for another 2 1/2 weeks. I just had my appointment this past Monday, when I figured I was about 9-10 weeks along.

I love my doctor. She is experienced, she's funny, she's super-personable, and she's female. Boy doctors are fine. But I had all boy-ones last time. I wanted a girl-one this time.
She got all my info, including when approximately my last period was and when we went off birth control, and then calmed any fears I had about having a baby naturally after a c-section, even this close together. 
Then, as she's feeling around my abdomen, she says, "Well...this feels like a solid 16 weeks along. But....that's not very likely, is it?" 
Surprised, I emphatically agreed: VERY unikely, if not next-to-impossible.
She pulls out the doppler and listens for the heartbeat. Sure enough, it only confirms her initial reaction: the heart is "big" and strong...and fairly high in my abdomen (p.s. the uterus rises at the beginning of the pregnancy to make room to grow outwards). So she sends me to get an early ultrasound done to see what-the-heck-is-up (um, my words, not hers). 


And so I go. 
Next Monday. 
11am.


...to be continued...!


p.s. We're really excited, just in case that got lost in the "we're-really-surprised" part! And my first trimester has gone (or uh...went?) really smoothly, which I am so grateful for.
Things are good.
And we are taking name suggestions for Baby Roberts #2, so feel free to share!

15 comments:

missLaura said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
I am really excited for you guys! Renae is so cute I can't wait to see what the next one looks like.

If you'd like to drop Renae off while you have your ultrasound we'd be happy to have her.

noelle said...

UM!!! CONGRATS LAURA (and Darren too)!!! THAT'S SOOOO EXCITING!!!! (oops, too many caps? sorry!) BUT seriously!!! Oh oh oh, I'm ridiculously excited for you! Can I live vicariously through you? I wanted to get preggo 2 months after having Emily, but realized that would be absolutely nuts. Now you're making me jealous, but not jealous enough to do anything about it. Haha. CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!

lauren said...

OH, I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER RIGHT NOW!!
not at all, not at all.
i'm so glad you decided to make another one. renae is so dang cute!
congratulations!
congratulations!
congratulations!!!
oh, i just love you.
all FOUR of you!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I just talked to Darren and he didn't say anything. Sure like hearing "family" news from family before seeing it on the net, though.! Way to Go guys...she was just so darn cute you had to make more!LOL

Unknown said...

Sweet!!! How about going for name like "Sir" So we can call him "Brave Sir Roberts" from Monty Python!

andrewandpaigeirwin said...

Wow, that's pretty wicked, 16 weeks eh, your like halfway done before you even get started...although from what I hear the second half is the hard part!! haha Congrats Laura

Dixie said...

That's so exciting! Congrats to both of you. Was there definitely only one heartbeat?

Lisa C said...

Wow, so exciting! Congrats!

Ashley said...

Congrats you guys!!

My kiddos are 20 months and 18 months apart. I love it. My older 2 play together and it is wonderful. hectic but wonderful. Can't wait to find out when you are due!!

ec said...

finally!

you already know how excited i am, but ...

I'M SO EXCITED!

and 16 weeks? that would be awesome ... to skip like an entire month. i'm excited to hear the (official) estimated day of arrival;)

Emily Lynn said...

Congratulations you crazy cats!!!!

Christy said...

Holy Moly....that is HUGE news! I am so excited for you!! Congrats!

Karen said...

congratulations! Ben and briggs are 18 months apart. it is crazy, but like you said, hopefully they will be good friends! . good news is that when the baby is born renae will be still young enough to take a long afternoon nap, and hopefully you can too while the baby is sleeping! congrats again!

Livingstones said...

Oh my goodness I seriously love you guys! What awesome parents you are! I am so excited for you! And good luck! I just love watching your little family grow!

coby said...

that is awsome Guys, I am so happy for you, and Renae. Good Luck. and Enjoy them because they grow up too fast, and you wonder where the time went,
Love you guys
Love Coby, Tim & Boys